Your surgeon will arrange the date and time of your admission for surgery. They should also explain the procedure to you, and will get you to complete a consent form.
Once the date of your surgery has been confirmed by your surgeon, you need to complete an admission form either online or manually (if it was given to you by the surgeon’s rooms).
Please have the following ready when you fill in your admission form:
- Personal/next of kin details
- Medicare card
- Funding details (e.g. DVA, private health insurance, work cover or self-funding)
- Benefit details (e.g. pharmacy benefit card or pension card)
- Item numbers if these were quoted by doctors’ rooms
- Information your doctor supplied to you about implantable medical devices (e.g. prosthetic and disposables) – if applicable
If you have any questions about the admission form, please telephone 02 5528 4011 between 8am – 4:30pm or send an email to Bookings.SDS@ramsayhealth.com.au.
If you have private health cover, please contact your health fund prior to your admission to check for any excess or waiting periods. We know that health and billing charges can be difficult to understand and we are happy to assist in any way we can, however we also advise that you seek clarification from your doctor and health fund.
Nursing pre-admission information
You may be contacted by telephone prior to your day of admission by our pre-admission nurse. If you are contacted:
- Your medical history will be reviewed with you and admission and discharge details will be discussed.
- Please take this opportunity to discuss any concerns regarding your admission.
Day of Admission Information
On the day of admission
You’ll be greeted by our concierge when you arrive at the surgery.
The hospital will inform you of the scheduled time for your surgery and subsequent fasting times.
This means nothing to eat or drink, including water, prior to your operation.
Please bring anything applicable to your admission including:
- Doctor’s admission letter and or consent forms (if you have completed admission forms on-line)
- Regular medications
- Relevant x-rays and or test results
- (For a child): favourite toy, formula, bottle and any special dietary needs
DO NOT (unless your doctor gives you special instructions):
- Eat or drink anything after midnight for morning surgery
- Eat or drink anything after 7am for afternoon surgery – (a light breakfast prior to 7am is acceptable e.g. tea and toast)
- Smoke cigarettes or chew gum
- Wear jewellery. A wedding ring and watch are permitted
- Bring valuables e.g. mobile phone and large amounts of cash
- Wear make-up or nail polish
Please shower on the day of admission and put on clean, comfortable clothes that are easy to remove.
Check with your nurse before informing relatives/friends regarding the time that you should be picked up.
Find out information about getting here and parking.